Thursday, March 29, 2018

High Paying Career - They Laughed When I Got a Job Selling Cars, But Then

High Paying Career - They Laughed When I Got a Job Selling Cars, But Then
High Paying Career - They Laughed When I Got a Job Selling Cars, But Then

High Paying Career:

Matt just finished telling us about his great new internet job. Then he ask me, "So Jason what have you been up to lately?"

As good friends from school a group of us get together a couple times a year at our old hangout. Our jobs differ from banker, to engineer, to CPA and so forth. It's a pretty sharp group.

I said, "Not long ago I started a new job as a car salesman."

First there was dead silence around the large table. Then someone burst out saying, "You're too honest to sell cars, you wouldn't even cheat on a quiz in school." Everyone had a good laugh nodding in agreement.

I then heard Kathy whisper to Matt, "Jason is not the high pressure type he will never make it selling cars."

I said, "I've been selling cars for six months and would agree there are dealerships in Phoenix that have dishonest, high pressure salespeople. Fortunately, I don't work at one of those. We deal in a no pressure straightforward way. In fact if a salesperson cheated or lied to a customer, my dealership would part ways with them immediately. That's a big reason I work there."

Then Ted the banker piped in, "I've known several people in Phoenix, including my cousin, who said they applied to one of those car job ads promising a high paying career - BIG money. But after several months of making little money they left disappointed."

I explained, "I've read those same gimmick classified ads, 'no experience $6,000 guaranteed income, or $100K per year' and I've known good people who discovered the hard way the fine print those ads left out."

My dealership started me out with a good pay guarantee, top training and solid benefits to give me time to learn the business. Then, when I was ready, they moved me up to an even higher commission based pay.

Ted then asked with a grin, "But now that you're selling on commission can you 'Show us the money?'" Someone else chimed in, "Yea, show us the money."

I laughed and said, "I should have known you guys would demand proof." Their timing was perfect. I just got paid so I decided to make the most of the Ted's challenge. I pulled my pay stub out of my wallet held it in both hands and snap it for drama a few times. First I passed it slowly buy Ted's face then by the others near me.

Instantly a tense silence fell upon the group as all eyes were glued to my pay stub. Mark the CPA broke the silence when he asked, "Did you say you were a manager? That's the kind of money managers at our firm make." I assured Mark I was only a six month salesman rookie.

The skeptical attitude around the table quickly changed then someone eagerly asked, "How did you find such a place to work?"

As we were leaving in the parking lot several friends ask how they could get more information on a good car sales job. They wanted the kind of sales job I have.

When I finally got to my car I noticed on one side of me was Ted's four year old basic transportation car and on the other side was Matt's rather beaten up small pickup. Both of them couldn't help notice me get into my new 350Z convertible.

If you want a high paying career it important to be very honest with yourself. I've been in sales training and auto sales training for years. My sales advice to you is to answer the following question:

What is more important to you, the ego satisfaction of a "nice sounding" job title or a job that pays you the big money?

No comments:

Post a Comment